Kiss My Face was established in the early 1980s, on an organic farm in New York. It has a line of 200 natural and effective body care products, with very reasonable prices. Kiss My Face incorporate natural ingredients in their products, and use sustainable and cruelty free practices of production.
Their sulfate free shampoo lines are excellent, and contain only natural ingredients.
Kiss My Face have 3 lines of sulfate free shampoo
- Whenever shampoo for everyday use
- Big Body Shampoo to add volume
- Miss Treated Shampoo for dry, damaged or treated hair
The three products have very similar ingredients, and are only different in a couple of ingredients.
Natural ingredients in Kiss My Face Shampoo
All three shampoo lines contain the following organic ingredients –
- Aloe vera – to moisture skin and hair, condition and protect the hair. All of the shampoo products of this company contain very high concentration of organic aloe vera gel.
- Rosemary leaf extract
- Chamomile Flower Extract – to soothe and reduce inflammation, promote skin regeneration, and replenish skin’s natural moisture.
- Lemon Balm Leaf Extract – soothing skin and have a lemon-like scent.
- Nettles Leaf Extract – soothes skin and prevent hair loss.
- Olive Leaf Extract – strong antioxidant effect
- Marigold Flower Extract – to nourish and soften dry skin, heal and soothe irritated skin and improve hair condition.
- Sage Leaf Extract – antiseptic and improves hair condition and oil excretion from skin.
- Lavender Flower Extract – for slowing hair loss and repairing hair texture.
All shampoos of this brand also contain hydrolyzed wheat proteins to repair damaged hair, add volume and retain hair moisture. This may be a problem if you have to avoid gluten in your cosmetics. Rice hydrolyzed protein is found in the Big Body shampoo and the Miss Treated shampoo.
No sulfate cleaning agents
Kiss My Face shampoos do not contain sulfate detergents. This leads to the question, what do they use instead to achieve the cleaning functioning for which we use these shampoos? Here is the answer –
- Olefin Sulfonate
- Cocomidopropyl Betaine
These two surfactants are produced by chemical reactions between coconut oil components and synthetic reagents. In some cases, either these detergents or the accompanied by products may cause skin irritation, but overall, these surfactants are considered safe, and causing less irritation than sulfate surfactants.
Price range of Kiss My Face Shampoo
Kiss My Face hair products are sold at a very reasonable price below $1 per oz. Compared to other “natural” or “organic” products this is very inexpensive.
Are these shampoos organic?
It is important to note that none of the so-called organic products I’ve reviewed for this website are truly organic. Many of the ingredients of Kiss My Face shampoo are organic plant extracts and this brand’s shampoos contained the least number of synthetic and possibly concerning ingredients. If you are strict about using only organic products, you have to look closely at the ingredient list. Synthetic ingredients contained in this brand’s shampoos are –
- Olefin Sulfonate – surfactant for cleaning and foaming.
- Cocomidopropyl Betaine – surfactant for cleaning and foaming.
- Glycerin –Produced from plant-derived oils and used as a humectant for moisturizing. Because glycerin absorbs water from its environment, it may absorb the moisture from your skin or hair, if the air in your environment is very dry. This will lead to drying effect instead of moisturizing.
- Potassium Sorbate – preservative, may be skin allergen.
- Miss treated shampoo also contains the conditioning agent Cyclomethicone, which is synthetic silicone, that may be toxic to humans at high concentration, and is suspected to be an environmental toxin. At the lower levels found in shampoos and conditioners, this chemical is considered safe.